At Fabriq, we launched the first version of our Air Quality Monitoring module in early 2017, making us a pioneer in connecting environmental metrics and personal wellbeing to energy management.
The increasing focus on Health & Wellbeing of building occupiers requires companies to consider how best to manage their workplace environment. Well-known benefits from healthy indoor environments include employee or occupant well-being and increased levels of productivity, among others.
The Importance of Air Quality Monitoring
Most people know that the air we breathe outside can be polluted with harmful particles that affect our health. This is no different when it comes to indoor environments where air quality can be compromised due to poor ventilation or contaminants from various sources, which in turn negatively influences the wellbeing, thinking and productivity of the building's occupants.
It comes as no surprise that many corporates are keen to provide the best working environments for their employees, and it is clear how effective air quality management can play a significant role in this endeavour.
Air Quality as a Way to Win Additional Business
Seen from the landlord's perspective, this makes AQM a key subject as well. If landlords are able to demonstrate high levels of performance of their assets in this respect, they can use it to attract and retain the best tenants. Vice versa, it is also important for risk management. With the increasing ubiquity of personal devices that measure an ever-increasing number of environmental metrics, landlords are well advised to ensure their environments are healthy and demonstrate low levels of e.g. pollutants on an ongoing, operational basis (i.e., not just at design stage).
AQM in Practice
Fabriq offers a holistic approach to Air Quality Monitoring. To understand and manage air quality in the workplace, it is necessary to acquire data at granular intervals from reliable sensors, process it in real time and flag any values above certain (time) limits. We can support this process through:
• Specifying suitable sensor technologies given client objectives and occupancy types based on our experience (we are technology agnostic)
• Working with external partners to set up wireless networks (based on Wi-Fi or 3/4G technologies) that are low cost, fully autonomous and independent of corporate IT networks as well as building management systems
• Automatically collecting data generated by the sensors and making it accessible to selected users via our Fabriq OS platform; this includes customisable dashboards with specific metrics
• Providing analytics for in- and out-of-platform data to understand long-term patterns and relationships between a wide range of air quality metrics, Health & Wellbeing aspects and e.g. energy consumption
• Providing the business case for the sustainability of assets and / or workplaces
• Interfacing with specialists for workplace services and certifications such as WELL, RESET etc.
Naturally, there is more to healthy buildings than air quality alone, as outlined by the World Green Building Council. But with our holistic approach to AQM, we are actively managing the first three listed features and that way making a coordinated effort towards healthier and greener buildings and spaces.
Get in touch to learn more about AQM with Fabriq -- we are here to help!